Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Finding Peace

Jeremiah 29: 11-13
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
These words ring true time and time again and the first verse has brought many of us comfort. And today, I felt that God was revealing to me that it also applies to his plans for Cadence, currently through his design for the lives of her parents. So, whatever the outcome of this job conundrum may be, I know that it is what He deems best for all of us. That he holds her life even more precious than we do. There are pros to both options so I am trying not to get my heart set on either one prematurely (which is very, very hard for me to do!) and either one will put us in a better position than we are currently in. All I can (and should) do at this point is turn it over to God and trust Him to do his thang.  

The Scripture continues:
"I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity."
This passage gives me hope for another situation I came face to face with today - the unfortunate condition of an estranged loved one. He is facing many trials, admittedly they are self-induced (though alcohol has been a drowning part of that self for a while now), and does not feel strong enough to overcome them. I don't feel comfortable writing more in a public forum, for his personal protection, but am fervently praying that he finds strength in the Lord. It's hard for me to not be able to DO anything to help someone and it feels like my mother is taking over my brain as all I can think is "just pray about it. just pray about it". It will do me no good to pace back and forth fretting over how to get in touch with him, as that is not currently an option, he has no means of communication; and I struggle with knowing that the past few times we've talked, he's lied to me about the state of his life anyway. But just knowing that someone cares, wants to listen to whatever it is you have to say, can be so reassuring. And yet, I cannot listen if he cannot talk. "Just pray about it. Just pray about it."
Dear God,
You know the burden of the heart of my family right now. You know the past and you know the future. You know the struggles and you know the triumphs. God, please, help there to be a triumph ahead for _____. Please help him to know that he is loved and that he is not alone. That out is not the only option for his life. That his life is precious. That his life has meaning. That we are here to see him through. That You are here to see him through. Help him to put his faith in you, the God who made the universe, to find your strength, through which he can do all things, to find your peace, that passes all understanding. God, I don't know how else to pray for him. But I pray that if there is anything I can do to help him, that you would open my eyes and heart to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment