Saturday, February 20, 2010

tidbits :)

Just a few random things I've learned over the past month or so... :

1) Did you know that it is illegal to drive with snow on your car?
                      and no, I did not learn this by getting pulled over for it ;) Though I did drive with snow on my car before learning it! I thought, well, it's just a little bit on the roof, should fall off before I make it out of the neighborhood. Well, it did not. And I learned the hard way why it's a bad idea to do this, aside from the whole potentially endangering other drivers by flinging snow at their cars thing. I went to my parents house, dropped off Cadence, and was on my way back before the snow came crashing down at a yield sign and absolutely covered my windshield!!! Of course, it was 2 inches thick and too heavy for my wipers. So thankful I was already stopped! I had to throw it in park, jump out, and swipe it off with my hands! eeeeemmbarassing ;P Since then I can't tell you how many cars I've seen, on the interstate, with several inches of snow on top of their cars (SO dangerous!) not to mention one in Chesterfield whose rear window was totally covered in addition to their roof...yikes! So, before you get pulled over for it, take a few minutes to clear your car before leaving! I promise it will take less time than getting a ticket or causing an accident ;)

2) Did you know that coffee creamer (International Delight, CoffeeMate, etc.) has no actual CREAM in it??? I guess I've just been buying it for so long that I never thought to look at the ingredients, I just assumed it was basically half-n-half with a flavor shot. nope. would you like me to share the ingredient list that turned my morning world upside down? well, here it is:
(from Coffee-mate, The Original) -
water, corn syrup solids, partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), dipotassium phosphate, mono-and diglycerides, polysorbate 60, sodium stearoyl lactylate, artificial flavor, carrageenan.
(and Coffee-mate Belgian style chocolate toffee) -
water, sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, natural & artificial flavors, nono-and diglycerides, dipotassium phosphate, cellulose gel, collor added, salt, cocoa processed with alkali, cellulose gum, carrageenan, sodium casseinate (a milk derivative), disodium phosphate.


Would you like to know what's in my now-staple (currently Horizon) organic half-and-half?
Organic Grade A Milk & Organic Grade A Cream. *free of antibiotics, added hormones, pesticides, etc.
plain, simple, and delicious ;)
Some other yummy alternatives could be coconut or almond milk! I think I'll be trying these when I run out of flavored coffee!

3) Did you know that when a flower company delivers they do not put water in the vase? I'm pretty sure I already knew this but it totally slipped my mind until my Valentine's Day flowers from Nathan were looking sad just a day or two after they arrived. Makes sense considering they have to drive them around...but couldn't they just put a lil bit? Or a note that says "hey, you might wanna put some water in this vase if you want to enjoy your beautiful flowers for any length of time"? lol.

Do you have any tidbits you'd like to share? Or a comment about the three above? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment